Sunday, February 10, 2013

February 2013: Andrew and the SOU Masterclass

Andrew had the unique opportunity to perform at an SOU masterclass with college students. He performed and received critique from Dr. Julian Martin, a Juliard Professor. He was fearless and had no problem with his performance nor telling Dr. Martin that he had listened to a lot of versions of Bartok's Bear Dance on his ipod touch and felt "he knew it pretty well." ....I think he forgot who he was talking to....

I told him he was telling this to the Kobe Bryant of piano. His response, "Who is Kobe Bryant?"


I didn't sleep the night before and nearly crushed my bite guard and gave myself a tooth headache. It's hard to be a parent sometimes. Andrew had nerves of steel....I was the nervous wreck.


But he did great!!! What you can't see is that there were 40 people on stage watching the master class and the far right side of the auditorium was packed (so they could see the keyboard). It was a great event. Afterwards I offered to take Andrew to lunch, he preferred Wendy's via the drive through so he could get back to school as quickly as possible. He downed a baconator (3 slabs of beef, 3 slabs of cheese and bacon), large fry and soda in the 12 minute drive....I am not looking forward to teenagers!

Julian Martin & Andrew

2 comments:

  1. You failed to mention why you went to Wendy's for lunch. I think that's my favorite part of the story.

    Way to go Andrew...my fearless nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew is truly exceptional in so many ways!!!!

    ReplyDelete