Roger retired after 27 years in the Rogue Valley and 30+ years as a surgeon. He originally took this job after it was offered by a friend of his from his medical training. He told his kids they were moving to the country and promised Brian a horse.
Little did Roger know that eventually his son would move back to the Rogue Valley, work side by side him, and buy his own "promised" horse. This is a picture done of Roger, Brian and their PA John. Classic O.R. day!
Lot's of people said a million nice things about Roger. He was basically a king at RVMC. The event was packed with church friends, community friends, and medical friends. Most spoke of his quiet demeanor, jovial nature, occasional farmer jokes, amazing surgical skills and bedside manner.
It was a bitter-sweet day for Rozanne as she realized her husband was now going to leave such an integral part of his whole being behind. Originally, when retirement talk began, Rozanne didn't know what she would do with Roger home but with the purchase of the ranch she knew how he would fill his days.
Brian and Steven felt this huge weight release from their shoulders. No longer would they be living in the shadow as the heart surgeons sons. Roger never put that pressure on them but they sure did.
Roger Hall and Roger Millar with Val Millar.
Both Roger's old operating room shoes and hospital dress shoes were notorious as Roger wore the same pair for all 30+ years. He was a simple man with simple needs both at home and work. They honored his shoes at the event too.
It was quite a thrill to be in the OR with Brian and Roger on Roger's second to last day. They were both so amazing in the roles they perform. I entered the OR with Brian and it was clear he is loved by everyone. The staff instantly smile when he appears. He puts his patients at ease and then, once they are asleep does some of the most complicated line placements with the ease as if he was turning pages in a book. At one point I watched him administer a drug in an IV turn around with this large needle used for central line placement and without even palpating the neck stabbed the needle into the guys jugular vein. I was floored and asked him how he could do such a technical procedure so quick and flawless. His response, "Well, if I sat and stared at it for any period of time it would never get placed."
He went out of his way to make me feel welcomed, showed me different procedures he performs during Roger's cases such as Transesophageal echocardiography, anesthesia induction, and he also let me look at the vocal chords on intubation. He is so skilled at his job that he is able to manipulate anesthetics, IV fluids, and other drugs to make his patients sail through their cases. A rarity that was appreciated by both surgeon and perfusionist. I was a proud wife. Also, with HIPPA rules so strict, it is a miracle that I was even permitted to enter. I guess being affiliated with both Kings of the OR helps your cause.
Then, unassuming Roger enters the OR in a pair of old, old, old sneakers and funny glasses and just ho hum proceeds to take a saw to the mans chest and begins dissecting away at an essential artery for the procedure. He treated me like a pupil and asked me if I could tell him the anatomy I was looking at. Sometimes I was right, other times, I was right only because Brian was whispering into my ear the correct answers. It was such a wonderful experience. I was right at the head of the bed overlooking the entire case, both from Brian's standpoint and also Roger's. The best....as stated by Rozanne...is that rare word that you never probably hear in the OR spoken by Brian instead of doctor, "Dad."
Congratulations Roger on a fantastic career and we look forward to many fun days with you on your tractor.
No comments:
Post a Comment