I gathered the kids up and asked them to each take a turn with me going through the toy room, asking them what they just "had to have" and what they could live without. I am already nervous about Andrew's saving pattern, the pattern being save all of it. But we did reduce our toy supplies by about 6 bin fulls and took them over to Holly's house for the sale.
Well, our friends Vicky and Sharon were suppose to contribute also and Sharon backed out and Vicky brought over high-end furniture that needed to go in a consignment shop and not on a front driveway. The kids were suppose to help sale the stuff but their interest lasted about 30 minutes and then they were off to jump on the tramp in Holly's backyard and her poor husband Eric ended up babysitting. I am sure he would have rather been in the ER seeing patients. Our small supply of items though were quickly picked over during the 6 hour sale. Apparently though, toys have to basically be free for people to take them. By the end of the sale I was giving dolls away 10 for a dollar and I had 2 bins of "freebies." I ended up with a small load to good will and $26 whole dollars in my pocket.
And to think I was going to hire a babysitter for 8 bucks an hour for the kids. So what did we do with all that loot? Andrew had a YMCA bball game later that day and they were having a fund raiser. They came around with basketballs with holes accepting donations. I hope it buys more than a tshirt and ball for some kid.
Our kids were furious. It was suppose to go towards the Wii fund. We are still about 180$ short on that fund and at this rate won't see one till the end of the summer. The lesson learned: Never again a garage sale. Just give it away, it's quicker and less of a headache.
No comments:
Post a Comment