Last year Roger purchased 2 Holstein cows for 25$ a piece. He had to bottle feed them for 3 months and then he turned them out to the fields to graze on the best grass in the valley and water from the irrigation canal. They mingled with the Black Angus cows that have come and gone and they were truly pets to his grandkids. Grandpa named them Jack and Jill and we thought we would see them for the next 20 years.
Well, Grandpa decided that was so much fun he would like to raise two baby Holstein calves again. He also informed us that one of the next Sunday afternoons he would inform us that the Roast we were eating for supper and had just been praising for it's tenderness and tastiness would be our beloved Jack or Jill. He told us to get used to the idea but that he was getting some more cows and any kid who wanted to go could!
Elizabeth, Sophie, and Ethan all wanted to go to the dairy farm. They absolutely loved the experience! Sophie got right into the swing of things and started feeding calves with the dairy farmer. Grandpa found that they had 3 calves that needed to be taken so he decided to take all three of them. He had created a box for the back of the truck but they still needed to be strung up when transporting on I-5 from Grants Pass to Medford Oregon.
These 3 calves are taking better to the feed and grass better than Jack and Jill. Grandpa thinks it won't be long till he turns them loose for good in the fields.
Until then, I just keep enjoying my roast, hoping Grandpa doesn't tell me that I just ate Jill!!!
Lizzy made up a song that you just have to hear. It goes:
Jack & Jill (Pause)
Bob & Bill (Pause)
Bud (in low tone)
As soon as I figure out how to film and blog it I will have her sing it.
Introducing Bob, Bill, & Bud
Okay... I love our little singer Miss Lizzy. I totally laughed when I read that. I'll have to hear it in person =)
ReplyDeleteBob is the tallest. He and Bud have similar spots, quite spotty on the left side, Bud spottier, Bill a black bum, not at all as spotty.
ReplyDelete